« b2300 | Main | countdown to ignition »

Mr. Hanky

The Mazda truck is all done and gone.
It has a bit of a stumbly fuel issue sometimes at warmed idle, but it drives well.
A rebuilt engine does not a new truck make :(

I'm hoping it'll clear up with some new gas and maybe some fuel system cleaner.
It might need a new "idle air control" valve.
I replaced the fuel filter, and some of the sensors which tell the computer when/how much fuel it needs, but there's still old parts. I love it when a plan comes together.

update: Soon after this it stalls sometimes. EGR solenoid went bad-new parts and old parts synchronizing I guess. Solenoid fixed it. No more stumble.

Anyway, today i got to do a wheel bearing on Mr. Hanky.

Mr. Hanky is the 1982 Honda Civic Wagon which i convinced my brother-in-law Antny to buy when he was looking for a car.

It also has some weird fuel issues sometimes, but it gets excellent mileage and is very reliable.
It has a very complicated carburetor setup. I much prefer fuel injection for diagnosing.

So... ummm... oh yeah. Wheel bearing....
The RF wheel was roaring, so we decided to change the bearing before it got worse and lost a wheel. I'm glad i have a shop press.

This type of bearing can be a chore to replace. First ya gotta get the knuckle off the car, which in itself is pretty involved. I have a slide hammer so i used it first to remove the wheel hub for inspection. If the hub was bad, the job would have to be put off until one could be located. It doesn't come with the bearing on this car.

The hub was fine. The inner bearing race had some rough spots causing the noise, but not so bad that it ruined anything else. whew.

Knuckle then gets transported to the bench vise to remove some seals and a snap ring, then over to the shop press. Press the old bearing out with an assortment of makeshift press accessories, and press the new bearing in using part of the old bearing... and an assortment of makeshift press accessories.

There's a tool kit out now to do this w/o a press, while the knuckle is on the car, but it's expensive, and doesn't really make it much easier on this model anyway.

I used to do these with just a vise and a hammer... and a torch to get the old bearing out. Torturous.

Everything went pretty smooth. I only had to take it back apart once ;)
I forgot to put the dust shield back on before I put the hub on. D'oh.
Don't really need this dust shield, but I like having it.

It's all back together now. No more roaring noise. HOORAYY!!!

Someday, if i'm lucky, this car might belong to me.